Thursday 27 October 2011

The day Barack Obama almost had me arrested - Part II

I suppose i should mention the difference in temperature between Sydney and Rochester in February.  A typical day would see the temperature in the 30s in both cities, the only difference being the scale used to measure it.

Why oh why can't the world have a single temperature system, measurement system, cheaper fuel prices, world peace and no more money hungry religions?  Is that all really a pipe dream?

The temperature in Sydney. It got as high as 45'C/113'F that day, but I didn't know because I was safely tucked away in a missile with wings, making a bee-line for LA. I remember getting on the first flight wearing a t-shirt and shorts because it was so hot, but i had winter clothes in carry-on luggage and the thicker stuff on top in my suitcase.

It wasn't until Day 1 of the conference - Tuesday - that i found out how hot it got in Sydney on that Saturday in February. I remember someone - I think it was Bob aka Barb - saying something about bushfires and that hundreds of people had died.

What?

I hadn't looked at the news since i arrived in the US, so i really had no idea. The day is now known in Australia as Black Saturday.

Anyway, as I said, the trip was fairly uneventful. I met a bunch of lovely people and learned lots during the conference. As i said earlier, i also got to see Niagara Falls - that was, without a doubt, the highlight of the trip.

Or, so i thought.

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment